How do you declare your pension in Israel?

On this page, we'll take you step-by-step through how to declare your retirement in Israel.

When you reach retirement age, it's crucial to understand the tax procedures and obligations that come with declaring your retirement in Israel. In this comprehensive article, we'll provide you with all the information you need to ensure that you comply with current tax laws and facilitate the declaration process.

We'll look at the possible tax exemptions to which you may be entitled by declaring your retirement in Israel. We'll guide you through the various eligibility criteria and conditions required to benefit from these tax advantages. Our aim is to help you maximize your savings and minimize the tax burden associated with your retirement pension.

In addition, we'll share with you practical tips for optimizing your retirement declaration in Israel. With these tips, you'll be able to navigate the declaration process with complete peace of mind.

Whether you're an Israeli resident looking for information about declaring your retirement, or a foreigner considering retiring to Israel, this comprehensive article will answer all your questions and provide you with the knowledge you need to take this important step with confidence.

Talk to the Experts

In a nutshell.

A private-sector pensioner in France who is an Israeli tax resident must pay his pension in Israel, not in France.

During the first 10 years of Aliyah, an Ole Hadash is exempt and does not need to declare this pension to the Israeli tax authorities.

From the end of the tenth year, he must declare his retirement in Israel, and choose the method of taxation he wishes to apply

Retirement in Israel

French pensions received in Israel: obligation to declare.

Article 18 of the double tax treaty between France and Israel deals with pensions. An Israeli tax resident receiving a pension from France must therefore declare his pension in Israel, and no longer in France.

In the words of the agreement :

Pensions, life annuities and other similar remuneration paid to a resident of a Contracting State shall not be taxable in that State. that in this state. (Art. 18).

The pensions concerned are those received via the private sector.

If you are receiving a civil service pension, you remain taxable in Franceeven if you have become an Israeli tax resident.

What is the tax rate on retirement in Israel?

There are 2 options for declaring your pension in Israel:
1. Opt for the Israeli scale" .
In this case, you are taxed as an Israeli tax resident. There is an authorized deduction on the amount of pension received.
The remainder is taxable in Israel, according to the individual income tax (IR) brackets.
We therefore add the taxable amount of your pension to your other income in Israel (rental incomefinancial income, dividends, etc.).
Final tax will therefore be calculated according to tax brackets (tax bracket in Israel), which varies according to your other income.

We remind you that tax brackets in Israel are personal, not per tax household.
We don't look at the income of the couple (or tax household), we look at the level of personal income for each member of the couple, and each member is taxed according to his or her own income.

In this case, you can also benefit from the tax credits allowed in Israel.

2. Cap your taxation in Israel at the "tax rate applicable in France".
The Israeli tax system means that you never pay more tax in Israel than you would in France. The Israeli government is keen to encourage retirees to come and live in Israel, and has set up a preferential scale to avoid any negative impact on their taxation.

What's the best way to declare your retirement in Israel?

In practice, the Israeli tax scale is often more advantageous than the French system. Authorized tax allowances and deductible tax credits tip the balance in favor of filing at the "Israeli rate".

Obviously, each case is unique, and a thorough study is required to determine the best applicable package.

To avoid any misunderstanding.

Whichever package you choose, your pension must be declared in Israel and not in France.

How to declare your pension received via Switzerland, Belgium or elsewhere?

Each tax treaty has other provisions with Israel.

You should consult a tax advisor to establish whether or not you are obliged to declare your income.

Israel has signed agreements with over 50 different countries, so each case is unique.

Contact us for more information.

How to declare your pension when you arrive in Israel (first 10 years).

For 10 years, Israel exempts the new immigrant from foreign income tax.

Consequently, the Ole Hadash is exempt from declaring his retirement in Israel for the first 10 years following his aliyah date.

We therefore have the option of not declaring our pension in France (when we notify France that we are no longer French tax residents), or in Israel.

You'll be tax-free for the first 10 years of your aliyah, both in France and in Israel.

We remind you here that if the pension is a French civil service pension, you must continue to pay your taxes in France, regardless of whether you have made Aliya. (Art 19 of the Convention).


The French tax authorities may ask to see proof that you have declared your retirement in Israel. (Even during the 10-year period).
If you are concerned by this request from the French tax authorities, please do not hesitate to contact us.

In a nutshell:

A private-sector retiree in France who is an Israeli tax resident, must pay his pension in Israel and not in France.

During the first 10 years of Aliyah, an Ole Hadash is exempt and does not need to declare this pension to the Israeli tax authorities.

At the end of the tenth year, he must declare his retirement in Israel.and choose the taxation method he wishes to apply.

However, France may ask for declaratory proof even during your 10 years of aliyah.

The Israeli tax system is often less expensive than the French system.

Remember: You'll never pay more than you would have to in France.

Objective of taxes in Israel :

Encouraging retirees to come and live in Israel.

Your questions - Our advice

  • Is it compulsory to cash your pension in an Israeli bank account?
  • Is the pension received via the CNAV considered a "public" pension?
  • When should we notify France that we are no longer French residents?
  • For the first 10 years, do I have to declare my retirement to bituah leumi?
  • What are the risks of not declaring this pension for tax purposes in Israel?

Our latest tax and accounting videos

In partnership with :

Read our latest articles & tips.

In partnership with :
Expenses not recognized in Israel
Limited Company

Expenses not recognized in Israel

Expenses not recognized in Israel can have a significant tax impact. Understand these expenses and optimize your financial management. Consult Dray & Natco for personalized tax assistance.

Read more "
Sign up for the Business Letter

Join our network of privileged correspondents and receive our exclusive expert advice:

Our offices in Israel

Our consultants in Tel Aviv

English speaking accountants in Israel
Address: 31 boulevard Rothschild, Tel-Aviv (Israel)
Phone number: 03-9446635
Fax: 03-9494682
Email: office@cpa-dray.com

Our consultants in Jerusalem

English speaking accountants in Israel
Address: Kanfei Nesharim 68. Merkaz Oranim
Phone number: 02 631 9000
Fax: 02 631 9005
Email: office@cpa-dray.com